March 01, 2010

Proverbs 31 Woman

As I sit on my bed this Sabbath evening, it's 1 in the morning, and I desire to be a better woman. I have set aside my text books and picked up my manual for life. Reading scripture is a love, a comfort, and a challenge. Tonight, Proverbs 31 is a challenge spoken to my heart...

"A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her." (10-11a)

I admit that the desire of my heart at this point in my life is to find a help-mate to walk alongside me and share life with me. But I question myself...am I ready? Will I be a wife of noble character? Will my husband have the ultimate confidence in who I am and what I do, and will he look upon me as if I am a rare jewel?

"She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy." (20)

Oh, Father, how I pray that I will be a woman who generously gives to all. I like to think I am, but I am human and can be as selfish as anyone. I want my heart to be in a constant state of giving and sacrificing for those in need.

"She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come." (25)

This brought to mind - what do I clothe myself with? Intelligence? Friendship? Success? Meaningful qualities or merely meaningless characteristics that have no merit? I want strength to do the right thing. I desire dignity to walk with my head held high as I partake in my Provider's pure love. I pray a joyful laugh shall stay on my tongue to get me through the hard days.

"She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue." (26)

I believe that Christ has given me a great deal wisdom for my years. Many have come to me with heavy hearts, questions about life, and requests for instruction. I pray my door will always be open to seeking hearts. Let God speak His words through me.

"Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all'." (28-29)

The first person that comes to mind is my own dear mother, for she is the exact woman I strive to be. She, in my eyes, lives out Proverbs 31. She is good, pure, hard-working, strong, beautiful, and Godly. Each of my siblings love my mother and praise her for all she is. My father still looks at her like a love-struck teenager and views her high above any other woman. My mother is my hero and I look up to her in every way.

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be
praised." (30)

Finally, I am reminded not to be shallow and concerned with my appearance. I know my husband will love me for everything I am AND despite all that I am lacking. I do not need the compliments of many men. I will let the love of Jesus Christ shine through my eyes and smile and know that when my man is attracted to me, it will be for something deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment